Woman Ends Up in Coma After Overdosing on Bok Choy
Friday, May 21, 2010
An 88-year-old Chinese woman, who was eating large amounts of bok choy in hopes of controlling her diabetes, ended up in a coma after ‘overdosing’ on the vegetable, according to a report in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The woman, who was not identified in the report, was brought by her family to an emergency room at a hospital in New York City last summer. She was unable to swallow or walk for three days.
When doctors examined her, they discovered she had a severe case of hypothyroidism, which left her in a thyroid-induced coma. A breathing tube was inserted and she was taken to the intensive care unit where she eventually recovered. [...]
So the take away is that: 1) herbal remedies work, 2) herbal supplements are DRUGS and must be used like them, 3) self-medication is dangerous.