?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Wakum Mata!
Politcally Incorrect Musings
Bed is done 
15th-Mar-2010 07:05 am
SCA
This weekend was a whirlwind. I put the finishing touches on the new camp bed last night shortly after 10:00PM. I am b-e-a-t. I not not happy with its look. This is not my best work. Too little time and everything takes longer than you think. There are too many gaps in too many places. Fittings are too tight in other places (as in I made them EXACTLY correct to 1/64!). I blame the lack of proper tools. Oh for a proper workshop with a drill press and table saw!

The table saw was imitated by a mitre box and a chop saw. I bought the chop saw used and it has... quirks. It is also the wrong size for cutting a 1X6. It *almost* cuts all the way through. I have to precut an edge about 1/8 inch. Also, the 90 deg. angle is a bit loose so it is hard to make the edge true.

The drill press was substituted with a ... drill press. The one I have is a cheesy thing that you attach to an electric hand drill. It is not the most stable.

Mitre joints were made using a forstner bit and wood chisels. With that crappy drill press of mine, I really had bear down to go deep enough and some of the angles are cocked a bit. Even then, I had to gouge out some of the bottom of the mitre pocket to get the full depth. The edges were trued up with the chisels and I am actually mostly proud of how they turned out. I made test fittings along the way so I knew they would fit.

Other problems are the cumulative errors. A 1/16th here and there and add in the angles that are not true and you get some heinous gaps.

But, I did prove my design is sound!

There are some changes to the plans where I miscalculated or wrote the wrong number or forgot a feature; I will repost the plans. All missed or missing measurements were minor and will become immediately evident to anyone who is building the bed based on what I posted earlier. I strongly suggest you wait until I repost my corrected "chicken scratch" plans.

I did not have time to make a picture of the bed. I did fully assemble it. It works and looks like it is supposed to. With a little wood filler and some paint, the bed will look great. But for now, scribe_ari will be taking it to Gulf Wars unfinished and with pencil marks in various locations.
Comments 
(Deleted comment)
15th-Mar-2010 08:51 pm (UTC)
can't wait to see the pictures.
This page was loaded Oct 23rd 2017, 4:06 am GMT.